POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: triple r
Date: 19 Jan 2009 16:15:01
Message: <web.4974ec38c995525def2b9ba40@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   I have heard this, I have a very hard time understanding how it would be
> possible.
>
>   And after you cross the event horizon... Who knows. But you certainly
> would *not* see the universe in any normal way, if at all. You probably
> wouldn't be able to measure anything of the universe at all (because,
> if the GR equations are right, *all* geodesics inside the event horizon
> point directly towards the center).

I saw a simulation of this a while back.  Your field of view increases as you
pass through the horizon, until 360+ degrees shrink to a circle directly above
you.  As you go further and further into the black hole, the whole universe
above you shrinks to a point.  Strictly speaking, though, you can observe
anything in the universe that you could before since you are still traveling
slower than the speed of light.  The event horizon is only the point at which
light cones tip past vertical so that even light moving directly outward can no
longer make it.  There really isn't anything special to the person passing
through it; it's just the point of no return.

>   Some people seem to think that there could be objects "floating" around
> inside the event horizon, and that someone could be there and see nothing
> unusual. However, if all geodesics are pointing directly towards the
> center.

They don't really have to point directly toward the center, do they?.  It's only
that NONE of them point outward.  If you're inside the event horizon, you still
have an infinite number of choices, but 'out' is not one of them.

 - Ricky