POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Radiosity POV 3.6 vs. 3.7 vs. MCPov : Re: Got it!: Server Time
18 May 2024 18:55:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Got it!:
From: clipka
Date: 19 Jan 2009 08:45:00
Message: <web.497483b127a78bab9b482c50@news.povray.org>
Ive <"ive### [at] lilysoftorg"> wrote:
> So it seems to me that the problem is maybe not even related to
> radiosity but it is to patterned textures. Maybe it has something to do
> with he post by me to p.beta-test from 4/25/2008 "texture_map vs.
> pigment_map" - that never got a response ;(

Now THAT is interesting; in fact, some - albeit less prominent - differences
between 3.6 and beta.30-rad1 I never got resolved do involve patterned
textures:

- The checkered floor in the balcony scene, which got brighter, uses basically
the same construction as your scene.

- The object_pattern scene, which shows some strange artifacts, uses an
object_map on textures.

I guess these are insofar radiosity related as they only show in radiosity
shots. There seems to be an issue with how the indirect illumination intensity
returned by the radiosity code is "post-processed".

Internally, the indirect illumination intensity is referred to as "ambient";
maybe this led to some mixup of variables, causing this indirect illumination
intensity to be mistakenly used as ambient term for additional texture layers -
or something along these lines. Or it is just summed up for layered textures,
instead of being weighted properly.