POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : FYI: radiosity changes integrated : Re: FYI: radiosity changes integrated Server Time
7 May 2024 13:42:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FYI: radiosity changes integrated
From: clipka
Date: 17 Jan 2009 14:15:02
Message: <web.49722d4ebea0b42dd3a05d570@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   Why is everyone comparing the radiosity of Beta 30 with the newest
> radiosity version?
>
>   Unless I'm completely mistaken, the radiosity code in 3.7 beta
> versions <= 30 was, by all intents and purposes, non-functional and
> certainly not intended to be used for anything. The code was just
> provisionally there to give *something* (rather than eg. just crashing
> the program) but not as the intended functionality.
>
>   What people should compare against is the radiosity in 3.6.

Unfortunately, from what I've seen in my test renders is that there is no great
difference in speed between 3.6 and 3.7.0.beta.29 (at least when comparing pure
CPU time). This is because the radiosity code wasn't so dysfunctional after all
- it was just broken, but that didn't influence speed much.

So the drastic increase in reder time does worry me.