POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Need help with 3.7 Beta : Re: Need help with 3.7 Beta Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:29:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help with 3.7 Beta
From: clipka
Date: 17 Jan 2009 09:35:01
Message: <web.4971ebf14362dd851c9be6790@news.povray.org>
Rob Richards <ari### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:
> http://www.piritipany.com/spiralramp.jpg   3.6 version
> http://www.piritipany.com/spiralramp_v7.jpg   3.7beta version

First thing I notice is the significant difference in brightness. First thing
that comes to my mind is "gamma".

Comparing your images, it looks like your 3.6 image is gamma-corrected for a
typical PC display gamma (something like 2.2), while your 3.7 image has no
gamma correction applied.

3.7 sees a stronger separation between render engine and "frontend", and in this
context gamma correction has been revised to get it completely out of the
engine.

I think the current mechanism is still far from intuitive. Try setting
assumed_gamma to 2.2, and maybe add a "version 3.6;" statement; pay attention
to the warning messages output by POV-Ray regarding these settings (you don't
have to heed them, but they may give you hints).

The other issue I see in the 3.7 shot are dark bands on the background, but I
guess these are just reflections that are not as prominent in the 3.6 shot due
to the gamma correction stuff.