POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Weird artifacts from two superposed boxes perspective view : Re: Weird artifacts from two superposed boxes perspective view Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weird artifacts from two superposed boxes perspective view
From: Mike
Date: 15 Jan 2009 12:35:01
Message: <web.496f71e0620d6c00c9b9f9f00@news.povray.org>
I actually have known all about not having coincident surfaces.  I was trying a
bunch of different things to make the object look correct, even with a small
spacing it does not work.  It seems like it might be blowing out the max trace
level in the bottom box which is supposed to be clear, but only the top half
is.  Then it seems this problem creates a weird shadow in the top box.  I guess
I accidentally posted the code in which the two are coincident.  Here is the one
where they are not.  This should work, but it does not look right?  Is there any
way to post a picture here rather than you all having to compile it to see what
I am saying.

Thanks,
Mike

#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"

global_settings{max_trace_level 255}
camera {
     location  <0, 3, 260>
    look_at   <0, 3, 0>
    angle 2.5
      rotate <-30*1,-30*1,0>
   }
#declare MaterialAlcohol =
material {
  texture {
     pigment {
        color rgbf<1, 1, 1,1>
      }
 finish {
        ambient 0.0
        diffuse 0.0
         reflection {
          0.0, 1.0
          fresnel on
        }
        conserve_energy
        specular  0
        roughness 0
 }
  }
  }

  #declare HeavyLiquid =
material {
  texture {
     pigment {
        color rgbf<0.6, 0.5, 0,1>
      }
 finish {
        ambient 0.0
        diffuse 0.0
         reflection {
          0.0, 1.0
          fresnel on
        }
      conserve_energy
       specular 0
     roughness 0
 }
  }
  }

#declare AlcoholRegion=
box { <-1.899, 0.2, -1.899>, <1.899, 3, 1.899>
material { MaterialAlcohol }
  interior {
  ior 1.3800
}
 }

#declare HeavyLiquidRegion=
box { <-1.899, 3.001, -1.899>, <1.899, 5, 1.899>
material { HeavyLiquid }
 interior {
    ior 1.4
}
}

//merge{
object{AlcoholRegion}
object{HeavyLiquidRegion}
//}
light_source {
    <4, 8, 10>
    color White
  }
plane{y,0 texture{pigment{White}finish{ambient 0 diffuse 1}}}