POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended : Re: Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended Server Time
9 Oct 2024 20:54:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended
From: nemesis
Date: 9 Jan 2009 21:55:01
Message: <web.49680df238d994825ba4bf620@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Unfortunately, for some really odd reason, a lot of people that "do"
> read the original texts, compare them with other faiths, and study the
> complex histories behind them, kind of end up... a lot less religious.
> Its almost as if "reading" any other books makes the whole thing look
> absurd and silly, or something...

It just shows a different interpretation of similar events many peoples
experienced in the old ages.

BTW, I love J.R.R. Tolkien's mythology.  Some think he created all of it out of
his mind, but I see it more like yet another interpretation of old mythologies,
legends and religious beliefs, including somewhat of Old Testment.  The Creation
is there, except it is far more detailed than in "Fiat Lux" and is made out of
music that turns into a vision of things to come.

God -- here called Eru Iluvatar (the one) -- first created many angelical beings
(Ainur) born out of his thought, each one modelled after a part of his mind.
Thus, each one was slow at first at comprehend their siblings, but by helping
God in the creation of the Music, they were given further understanting of
their brothers, by means of harmony.  Melkor was the most powerful of the Ainur
and began to try out new themes of his own into the Music, which began sounding
chaotic.  Many of the Ainur next to him were led into this new rhythm and many
others stopped, confused and tired.  Eventually, Iluvatar shows them his new
themes were actually just part of something bigger and not even his loudest
chords were able to detract from the character of the Music.  Melkor grews a
secret jealous of Iluvatar and, needless to say, is Satan under other name.

Ea (the universe) is created by the Music and in it, Arda (Earth) which would be
the birthplace for God's sons.  Many Ainur descendend into Earth, Melkor among
them, and became the Powers of the World (Valar), each one occupied by a part
of Arda's substance which was more like their own thematic embilishments during
the Music.  Needless to say, the Valar are like the Titans of Greek mythos and
later Gods.  They labored long to make Arda a habitable place for God's sons,
eventually fighting off the many destructions caused by Melkor's extremes and
jealous.

Loving Tolkien's amazing work -- a reinterpretation and tentative of
conciliation of many different myths, including Christian ones -- does not make
me less religious, though.  Not even historical sources of ancient Mesopotamia.
Like I said, they are different interpretations of old events, that you may
think are made-up man inventions, if you will...