POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended : Re: Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended
From: nemesis
Date: 9 Jan 2009 21:35:00
Message: <web.4968083c38d994825ba4bf620@news.povray.org>
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
> > In point of fact yes. In the original OT, Satan was simply the angel
> > employed to do sick and evil things to people, as a test of their faith.
>
> That's what I figured, yes, but I didn't think anyone who thinks God is
> loving and kind would admit it.

Actually, in the original take, Satan was God's eyewitness of people's sins and
prosecutor.  Lucifer has some strange origin referring to the "Evening Star".
Many myths, legends and tales as told in the Bible are figurative, I don't take
them literally.

God is loving and kind.  To those who live by his Laws, anyway.

Yes, Job lived by His Laws and was a righteous man and yet Satan is accounted
for putting him into trial and prosecution before God under the accusation that
he was only loyal because God would not let nothing bad happen to those of
faith.  Thus, God *allowed* for Satan to tempt Job.  Despite all the tragic
events Satan would put in his way, he remained loyal to God.  He was later
blessed a very long and wealthy life after the events.

That's it, you can see it as a moral fable if you will...

> > It only looks like a consistent fable, in which Satan was always God's
> > adversary, if literally the "only" religious history you ever read is
> > the one that claims it.
>
> Not even then, actually. God's a right bastard in the very first story in
> the Bible, and pretty much keeps it up thru the old testament at least.

The one in which He creates light?  Yeah, cheap bastard...