POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Help needed : Re: Help needed Server Time
3 May 2024 06:12:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help needed
From: clipka
Date: 7 Jan 2009 11:00:01
Message: <web.4964d0872c05c2aabdc576310@news.povray.org>
"Meothuru" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> ----[Snip]-------------
>    sphere { <0, 0, 0>, 0.95
>       pigment {  color rgbt <0, 0, 0.58824, 0.2>  }
>       finish { Phong_Glossy }
>       translate y*1.61
>    }
>
> //*PMName Red Aura
>    sphere {       <0, 0, 0>, 1.075
>       pigment {  color rgbt <0, 0, 0, 0.55> }
>
>       interior {
>          media {
>             density {
>                cylindrical
>                density_map {
>                   [ 0 color rgb <0, 0, 0>  ]
>                   [ 0.4 color rgb <1, 0, 0>  ]
>                   [ 0.8 color rgb <1, 1, 0>  ]
>                   [ 1 color rgb <1, 1, 1>  ]
>                }
>             }
>             emission rgb <1, 1, 1>
>          }
>       }
>       translate y*1.612
>       hollow
>    }
> ----[Snap]--------------------------

First thing I notice is that the aura container is visible; this may be
intentional, but I think it makes the whole thing look crappy. So I'd try with
rgbt <0,0,0,1>. Also make sure that you don't have any finish on it (i.e.
ambient 0 diffuse 0 specular 0).

The next issue is that media effects totally filling a container generally don't
lool too convincing, so you want to have the density fall off towards the
outside.

You can achieve this by using a second density{} statements in the media, using
e.g. a properly scaled onion density map; this will effectively multiply both
densities, i.e. where any one of them is zero the total density will be zero,
and only where both are 1 the total density will be 1.

You may also want to give the whole thing some irregularity - you can use a
third density map for that, using a bozo pattern and some warp turbulence, for
instance.