POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A quick straw poll : Re: A quick straw poll Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A quick straw poll
From: nemesis
Date: 5 Jan 2009 13:20:01
Message: <web.49624e05f0bdaac8e44542980@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>    "Existential Quantification"
>    "Type variable hiding"
>
> I got shouted at for suggesting the latter (which describes what the
> feature *does*) because the former "is much clearer to understand and
> has a far more precise meaning".

The former has a precise meaning in the realm of logic, while the latter in the
realm of Haskell.  How many PHP, C++ or Java programmers would know what is a
"type variable" anyway?  But perhaps all of them had some basic predicate
calculus instruction... even if they don't remember exact terms like me. :P

> Apparently the Haskell guys are so immersed in advanced mathematics that
> they have a completely skewed view of what "normal programmers" actually
> know about. :-P

You only noticed now? ;)

hmm, not that Scheme guys are much better in their pure theoretical
approaches... XP