POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 05:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: gregjohn
Date: 31 Dec 2008 14:30:01
Message: <web.495bc7f2c8d70dda34d207310@news.povray.org>

> In the first case, it would be unjust to blame someone for not
> believing in your religion if such disbelief is entirely the fault of
> external circumstances.

#declare Christian_Proselytization=on;

I think that I have a problem with the presuppositions here.  Christianity might
not make much sense if it were like this:  we're all doing fine, just trying our
best, and all of a sudden you find out that you had to have had one particular
sports team's logo on the shirts of your closet or you face eternal torment.
Then you spend a lot of time in philosophical analysis wondering how fair or
unfair it was that you had to choose one sports team.

As a Christian, I don't find that line of argument very convincing at all, I
might "disbelieve" a religion that was accurately described by the analogy.

It ultimately boils down to conviction of sin. If you're not feeling "terrors of
the conscience", you need not apply.

I think what I'm talking about is best described in C.S. Lewis' Mere
Christianity, Chapter 5.
#include " http://tinyurl.com/96hf7a "
#declare useful_QUOTE="Most of us have got over the pre-war wishful thinking
about international politics. It is time we did the same about religion."