POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Vista 64bit with 8gb ram and Povray : Re: Vista 64bit with 8gb ram and Povray Server Time
28 Apr 2024 21:42:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vista 64bit with 8gb ram and Povray
From: Doom
Date: 31 Dec 2008 12:55:01
Message: <web.495bb1632d13fb1437f671630@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Darren New nous illumina en ce 2008-11-14 22:27 -->
> > Alain wrote:
> >> Under Windows Vista, you must install into a custom directory, NOT the
> >> default one. POV-Ray need to update some of it's INI files and Vista
> >> don't allow it when working in the programm files folder.
> >
> > Is this still true? I thought this had been fixed in the latest betas at
> > least?
> >
> The beta will place the ini and user files in a personal user profile folder.
> So, it fixed for the 3.7 betas.
>
> If you are using the official release 3.6 version, it won't do that. So, you
> need to install into a custom folder.
>
> --
> Alain
> The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear
> arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in
> government.
> Thomas Jefferson

I haven't tried myself to verify, but with the 3.6 version, if you did install
to the default location, could you not run pov-ray by right-clicking the
executable and saying "run as administrator" and then the program would be able
to edit ini files on the programs folder?

I'm not suggesting that this is a good solution as 1) its annoying to have to
always do that, and 2) you shouldn't want to ever have to elevate a program to
administrator rights.

But may work.  Just my thought. :-)