POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Digital fulldome showreel proposal : Digital fulldome showreel proposal Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Digital fulldome showreel proposal
From: Paul Bourke
Date: 31 Dec 2008 04:00:01
Message: <web.495b3362f6dffba729298b500@news.povray.org>
A proposal to the PovRay community .... how much interest is there in the
production of a PovRay based fulldome showreel? For those who may not be aware,
planetariums around the world are increasingly able to support high resolution
fulldome video. This is an exciting medium that gives a great sense of
immersion. For some more information on fulldome see this article
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulldome
Increasingly content for fulldome is not necessarily astronomy based and indeed
some are pure entertainment, for example Sonic Visions
    http://www.amnh.org/rose/dome/
I've been involved in a few productions, some are shown here.
    http://vimeo.com/channel17732
"Geometry series" was rendered in PovRay.

This is at the early days of imaging how we might create a collaborative show.
Some notes which I welcome comments on are:
- We would need a theme, my choice would be to make it broad enough to support
enough variation of content ideas.
- There needs to be a consistent transition between contributions, I'm
imagining providing a (simple) scene that contributers need to transition
to/from at either end of the contribution.
- In case it isn't obvious the contributions would be animations. Fulldome
content is all 30fps.
- In order to get the best possible standard this would be run as a competition.
The contributions in the final showreel voted on by contributors.
- I imagine each contribution being between 1 and 2 minutes long. Between 6 and
12 contributions.
- I can arrange a sound/music track.
- I will manage the compositing, titles, credits, etc.
- The frames are of course fisheye and need to be rendered at high resolution,
3600 pixels square is a standard. I can arrange the resources for the final
rendering, but there may need to be some limits placed on the rendering times.

What do you think?