POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity: status & SMP idea : Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:25:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea
From: clipka
Date: 28 Dec 2008 18:30:01
Message: <web.49580bcab480f7926d1632140@news.povray.org>
I think this "discussion" is going nowhere... let's just conclude that

(a) there are obviously different views on the issue of whether a mesh-only
lighting model should be included into a renderer like POV-ray, and

(b) in practice it will most likely not happen any time soon.

To throw in some more pragmatic argument: Although I see some point in Warp's
argumentation, I for one think it is of *much* more benefit to invest time &
energy into improving an existing lighting model, than into adding a new one
that works only with a subset of the geometry supported by POV-ray.

Note that I'm not saying that it wouldn't be worth to put time & energy into new
lighting models *per se* - but that *any* lighting model supporting only a
subset of POV-ray's geometric primitives should have lower priority than *any*
reasonably promising lighting model supporting the whole palette.

And I still consider "Wardian" radiosity promising enough for that matter. I
think there is still room for improvement - at least on the quality side. 3.6
was obviously flawed with implementation issues worth working out.