POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity: status & SMP idea : Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:36:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea
From: clipka
Date: 23 Dec 2008 17:55:01
Message: <web.49516b61b480f792cf8270260@news.povray.org>
> I think one of the best ways to start is to get the tree building and
> re-sampling working again in the single-render thread case. From there you
> can make progress towards multithreading.

I think it doesn't make sense to put any work into POV's radiosity without
having at least some rough idea how it will be operating.

And making a POV-version that will support SMP only for non-radiosity scenes
isn't worth the hassle in my eyes: To get my quad-cores working simultaneously
on a non-radiosity scene, I can always start four full-fledged render processes
to crunch away on the same scene, forcing them to produce different jittering
and merging the results later - so I can get away with less antialias / focal
blur samples and lower area light resolution to get the whole thing speed up.

Ah, speaking of it: 100% reproducibility seems a holy cow in POV, but there are
situations where one might deliberately want variations in jitter effects from
shot to shot. So it would be nice to have a command line / ini parameter that
basically says "add X to all jitter-related random generator seeds" (where X
may even be something derived from current system time).

Setting a different antialias jitter value helps in practice, but I think it's
not the cleanest approach.