POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Engine heat : Re: Engine heat Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Engine heat
From: clipka
Date: 23 Dec 2008 13:55:01
Message: <web.495133629a438ed39927d5630@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I've created an aircraft engine and would like to create an area behind it that
> is distorted due to the heat from the exhaust. What's a good way of achieving
> this?
>
> -Mike

That's a tricky one.

A naive attempt would be to create a transparent cylinder or cone with a
slightly different ior and a disturbed normal. But then you'd get total
reflections at the outline of that object, which will be a mess if the surface
is turbulent enough to be noticeable at all.

An approach I did was to put a plane (no, not the aircraft :)) parallel to the
"screen", using a slightly different IOR for the "rear" side, and setting up a
function to be turbulent only in those areas where the exhaust should be
visible.

Drawback with this one, though, was that I found it to create artifacts when
combined with media, which you may possibly want to use for some engine smoke.

So if you find some solution that really works, please by all means post it here
:)