POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Rune
Date: 21 Dec 2008 19:05:01
Message: <web.494ed89fc8d70dda1307355c0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   2) Everything is chaotic. Uncertain quantum states make it so that it's
> absolutely impossible to predict what effects certain actions will have.
> It may well go one way or another (or even both ways at the same time!).
> By the rules of the Universe it's physically impossible to predict what
> will happen in the future from current events, because people will make
> completely random and unpredictable choices which, deep down, are a
> consequence of the complete uncertainty of quantum interactions.
>
>   In the second case you are not choosing. You are acting completely at
> random (even if this randomness can be seen only in the tiniest of details).
> You are not making decisions based on choice, but based on how some
> quantum states happen to be at some point in time (at any point in the
> timeline).

How can we know that it is the random quantum interactions that cause our
decisions (at a very subtle level) and not our "decisions" that cause the
random quantum interactions (again at a very subtle level)? In other words, how
can we know that human *or* some other consciousness can't in fact have effect
on the world through these very seemingly random quantum interactions? Since we
have no way to predict these interactions it would seem it would be a loophole
which makes room for any external (or internal but currently unknown) influence
on our observable universe.

Just a thought.

(Note: Any argument that no influence could be exerted this way because the
random quantum interactions are predictable at a statistical level undermines
the whole original argument that we are controlled by randomness to some
degree.)

Rune