POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Learning C++ : Re: Learning C++ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Learning C++
From: triple r
Date: 17 Dec 2008 23:55:00
Message: <web.4949d6dc267f2ab0ef2b9ba40@news.povray.org>
> OK, so I downloaded MS's "express" dev env for C# and C++. I figure it's
> time to practice some C++, learn the ways of the STL, and so on.  Mainly
> because it's that or Erlang or Python, and nobody is going to pay me to code
> any Erlang, and Python looks pretty trivial to learn.

I find myself in the same boat.  I had to do a big class project, so I decided
it was as good a time as any to bite the bullet and actually use C++ and the
STL.  I use FLTK (ugly, but cross-platform and easy!) and OpenGL for the
graphics, but something like Qt would probably also do the trick if you wanted
to try your hand at a cross-platform gui.  There really are a *lot* of
excellent examples when it comes down to it.  I just do a few examples, then
match my problem to that form.

As for specific tutorials, I stumbled upon the C++ annotations, which I've been
very impressed with.  Most examples with 'foo' and 'bar' end up looking trivial
next to real examples, but this really has just about *all* the details.  It
assumes knowledge of C, but I highly recommend it, if only for reference.
Partial template specialization?  The Koenig lookup?  It's all there:

http://www.icce.rug.nl/documents/cplusplus/

 - Ricky