POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : area_light, looks_like, & auto bounding problem : Re: area_light, looks_like, & auto bounding problem Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:36:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: area_light, looks_like, & auto bounding problem
From: Kenneth
Date: 16 Dec 2008 07:20:00
Message: <web.49479ba92080b0a078dcad930@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> On my brand-new other computer, running the test with the beta would probably
> have been totally useless, because I wouldn't have been able to properly
> measure execution time at all :)...
> Rendering of your scene would probably have taken
> something like 1 or 2 seconds with the beta :).)

WOW!  That's not merely impressive, it's....magical. I can envision a whole new
world of possibilities with POV-Ray.

I ran some further v3.6.1c tests using a typically complex scene (area_lights,
CSG, isosurfaces, HFs), and discovered a kind of Catch-22 situation regarding
auto bounding.

If the area_light has NO looks_like object (or any object invading it's space),
the entire scene renders at least twice as fast with auto bounding ON than with
it off. I didn't notice that before. (Of course, most scenes run faster when
using auto bounding, so it shouldn't have been surprising.) I also found that
the same thing happens when using radiosity. Again, good news. But this
presents a dilemma: If there *is* a looks_like object (which slows down the
render unless auto bounding is OFF) AND I use radiosity, there's no 'choice' of
auto bounding to get a 'faster' render. Either on or off, the scene renders more
slowly than it should, due to either one scenario or the other.

This is only temporary, of course; the v3.7 changes will make it all a moot
point.

KW