POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lightcuts : Re: Lightcuts Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:28:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightcuts
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 15 Dec 2008 15:35:00
Message: <web.4946bf14fbdb531aea3236f00@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Bill Pragnell <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > I didn't notice in the original, but the blue square on the wall is supposed to
> > be a window. Assuming the outside to be very bright, I would expect the shadow
> > under the head. Warp is correct though; without this assumption, the shadow
> > isn't right.
>
>   It isn't right with that window. The light square on the floor is light
> coming from the window. The light is not directly illuminating anything else.
>
>   Besides, if the shadow was produced from light coming from the window,
> it would be a lot more elongated to the left, and the lighting of the head
> would be more pronounced.

Well, I was thinking it was the actual sky casting the shadow, with the bright
spot on the floor cast by a point(ish) source in the sky. But in any case,
nemesis assures us the sky doesn't cast light, so I guess that shadow's all
wrong as you originally said. Additionally, I think the darkening in the
corners is far too extreme.

Bill