POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lightcuts : Re: Lightcuts Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:27:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightcuts
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 15 Dec 2008 04:25:00
Message: <web.49462165fbdb531ad5b77e4a0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> clipka <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > With the head so close to the surface, it is blocking the indirect light from
> > almost all directions except sideways, so it gets significantly less light
>
>   Also directly under the ear? The ear is so small that it's not blocking
> almost anything, yet the shadow on the floor produced by the ear is very
> pronounced.

I didn't notice in the original, but the blue square on the wall is supposed to
be a window. Assuming the outside to be very bright, I would expect the shadow
under the head. Warp is correct though; without this assumption, the shadow
isn't right.

This makes the colour of the outside completely wrong, of course - it would need
to be hundreds of times brighter to be believable.