POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New NearInfinity demo up : Re: New NearInfinity demo up Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New NearInfinity demo up
From: Clarence1898
Date: 14 Dec 2008 16:40:00
Message: <web.49457c343f822f768b9825800@news.povray.org>
stbenge <THI### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Months ago I updated my NearInfinity demo, but never got around to
> posting it. It can be found here:
> http://www.caltel.com/~abenge/NearInfinity.zip
>
> It should look like this:
> http://www.caltel.com/~abenge/NIscreen.jpg
>
> There is no goal to the game. You just fly around in a near-infinite
> landscape. I would call it infinite, but even the best random number
> generators don't go on forever. The landscape is not different every
> time you start the program up. You can change the landscape's seed
> within an .ini file. To make it a little more interesting, there are six
> Easter eggs to find. They occur very rarely, and you get no reward for
> finding them; they are simply there. Look at ee.png for spoilers :) Keys
> are left, right, up and/or z. It has bouncy and smooth, but solid
> collision-detection.
>
> If you are running Windows, have DirextX 8.0 or above, and have some
> free time, could you download it and tell me what you think? With the
> default settings it should run at 60 FPS regardless on your monitor's
> refresh rate. I kept the logic separate from the frame rate, so it
> should work on your computer exactly as it does mine, as long as your
> computer isn't really old. It will skip frames to compensate if your
> computer is slow.
>
> I would like some feedback on a few things. What is your operating
> system? Does it work on Vista? What FPS are you getting? Do the default
> settings of 1280x960 fullscreen mode give you ultra-smooth scrolling?
> What about lower resolutions? You can change these and other settings
> within the NI.ini text file. If you decide to run in windowed mode,
> change dynamicFrameRate to method 2. You won't get the benefits of
> VSYNC, and it really shows.
>
> If for some reason I didn't upload the program with the default 1280x960
> resolution and VSYNC settings, change the values found in NI.ini to these:
> windowed=0
> screenMode=2
> dynamicFrameRate=3
>

> Thanks in advance!
>
> Sam

It works on Vista x64 on quad core, very smooth scrolling.
It fails on XP home x32 dual core amd.  Here is th elog file:

HGE Started..

HGE version: 1.70
Date: 14.12.2008, 16:32:00

Application: NearInfinity 2008 Sam Benge
OS: Windows 5.1.2600
Memory: 981480K total, 214936K free

D3D Driver: ati2dvag.dll
Version: 6.14.10.6571
Can't find appropriate full screen video mode

Finishing..
The End.

Finishing..
The End.