POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : area_light, looks_like, & auto bounding problem : Re: area_light, looks_like, & auto bounding problem Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:03:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: area_light, looks_like, & auto bounding problem
From: clipka
Date: 14 Dec 2008 10:30:01
Message: <web.494525e52080b0a07a798a10@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Fascinating! You're explanation is clear and concise (although I have to admit
> that some of this code stuff is a bit beyond me.) Nevertheless, I'm
> learning...thanks to your well-written responses.  (I nominate *you* to
> re-write the POV documentation! Shouldn't take you long...heh heh...)

I guess I prefer to reject that nomination :)

(Actually I think I'm not too good at explaining in general, unless I have a
specific question to answer, so general documentation... um... problematic.)

> Hmm, well --*gulp*--I guess I'm going to have to bite that bullet. Thanks for
> the confidence boost. (My trepidation basically comes from the idea that I'll
> get bogged down in its not-yet-working details--"Why doesn't this work?" "What
> am I doing wrong?" etc.--and get completely frazzled, when even good ol' 3.6.1c
> keeps me 'busy' in that regard. But I guess that the POV team *needs* beta
> testers to find out such stuff, for the good of us all.)

Well, from what I've seen so far the beta already makes a good "workhorse" for
standard-stuff scenes, and is mostly ok with more special effects as well. And
if there *are* things that seem strange to you, you can always check in the
3.6.1c for reference, before spending time to try fixing your scene.

> Great! And thanks for being so thorough. BTW, those are some impressive time
> statistics. I'm still using a 'lowly' 2.2GHZ AMD single-core system. Perhaps
> it's time to do the upgrade thing (again, *sigh*.)

On my brand-new other computer, running the test with the beta would probably
have been totally useless, because I wouldn't have been able to properly
measure execution time at all :) (64 bit AMD QuadCore; well, running only at
2.3GHz, but what the heck - 3.6.1c runs just 10% slower on a *single* core of
it as on my P4, and that's only because I have to use a generic x86 binary;
with MegaPOV's AMD64 binary, a single core of that AMD machine is even 20%
faster than the P4 running 3.6.1c (for some reason, MegaPOV performance is
rather poor *there*). Rendering of your scene would probably have taken
something like 1 or 2 seconds with the beta :).)