POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : area_light, looks_like, & auto bounding problem : Re: area_light, looks_like, & auto bounding problem Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:57:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: area_light, looks_like, & auto bounding problem
From: Kenneth
Date: 14 Dec 2008 05:15:00
Message: <web.4944dbee2080b0a078dcad930@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> I guess the reason is that with point lights, another optimization approach
> called "LBuffers" can be (and is) used:...

Fascinating! You're explanation is clear and concise (although I have to admit
that some of this code stuff is a bit beyond me.) Nevertheless, I'm
learning...thanks to your well-written responses.  (I nominate *you* to
re-write the POV documentation! Shouldn't take you long...heh heh...)

> Actually it's not a big deal to install the beta. On Windows systems, it
> installs completely in a separate directory.

Hmm, well --*gulp*--I guess I'm going to have to bite that bullet. Thanks for
the confidence boost. (My trepidation basically comes from the idea that I'll
get bogged down in its not-yet-working details--"Why doesn't this work?" "What
am I doing wrong?" etc.--and get completely frazzled, when even good ol' 3.6.1c
keeps me 'busy' in that regard. But I guess that the POV team *needs* beta
testers to find out such stuff, for the good of us all.)

> Anyway, I just took time to test your scene (I only looked at the code
> before); on my Windows XP / P4 3.4 GHz system, the 3.6.1c needs 22 seconds
> for the scene *at best* (i.e. bounding disabled or looks_like extremely
> small), whereas the 3.7.0 beta 29 spits out the result after just 6-8
> seconds, with bounding settings or looks_like size having no significant
> impact.

Great! And thanks for being so thorough. BTW, those are some impressive time
statistics. I'm still using a 'lowly' 2.2GHZ AMD single-core system. Perhaps
it's time to do the upgrade thing (again, *sigh*.)

KW