POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Solid meshes in CSG : Re: Solid meshes in CSG Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solid meshes in CSG
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 13 Dec 2008 20:55:01
Message: <web.494466ab7b08f33bc67b294d0@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I'm a little confused by the docs when they explain when meshes can be used in
> CSG. Can I, for instance, create a flat plane from a mesh and use it in CSG as
> long as I specify an inside vactor? Or, must a mesh be fully enclosed, like a
> cube? Please explain what happens in either case.
>
> -Mike

CSG with meshes (even open meshes) should work as long as the mesh is well
behaved:
-mesh is continuous withing the CSG region
-mesh normals are properly defined and oriented
-inside vector included
This helps POV to determine what is in or out.  In the bathtub pic I posted
recently, the water is actually an intersection of an open mesh and a
heightfield and it worked no problem once I made the mesh well-behaved.

For meshes that are non-well-behaved, they may or may not work as expected.

-tgq