POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Killing rays over a certain length : Re: Killing rays over a certain length Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Killing rays over a certain length
From: statto
Date: 13 Dec 2008 11:25:00
Message: <web.4943e127bd563cd0430307c70@news.povray.org>
> I think there is a fundamental problem with this approach,
> namely that POV-Ray does not trace from the light sources
> forward but from the eye backwards. So, terminating rays
> doesn't really have the effect of light oozing anywhere.

I don't think that should make any difference, because it would just mean that
rays tracing back from the camera would never make it to a given light source,
and thus that pixel would stay dark. Indeed, as you point out when discussing
light sources with a sharp cut-off fade_distance,

> it is
> however not physically correct because it does not take into
> account the time for the light to travel from the object to
> the camera.

....whereas chopping off rays over a certain length from the camera would do
exactly that.

> Furthermore, you may also need to take into account that
> your film material moves at relativistic speed :-P

I live in a Newtonian universe and plan to use a digital video camera. Which is
definitely not a contradiction.

Is there no way to give fog attenuation an offset, such that brightness fades
exponentially but only after a certain distance if you have a non-zero offset?
If not, how would I make a feature suggestion to that effect?!