POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : out of date tutorials : Re: out of date tutorials Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:27:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: out of date tutorials
From: Lace
Date: 13 Dec 2008 01:25:00
Message: <web.4943547fb7ea4f86d42d92b10@news.povray.org>

> Was your code completely identical to the doc's code?  I ask because the order
> of transformations is significant - applying the same transformations in a
> different order *will not* yield the same result.  Rotations occur around the
> 'universe' axes, not ones local to the shape.  For this reason, I find it
> helpful to create an object around the origin, rotate it appropriately, then
> translate it into place.
>
> Also, could you post the relevant code (particularly your camera setup if your
> code was identical to the above).
>
> -Reactor

Hi there Reactor,

Here is the above tutorial:
torus {
  3, 11
  pigment { color Yellow }
  scale <1.5,1,1>
  rotate <-45,0,0>
  translate <0,2,0>
}

And here is my copy of the tutorial:

torus {
  3, 2
  pigment {
granite //*as you can see I tweaked the pigment because using {color yellow}
would not work*\\
  scale <1,5,1> //*the 1.5 works just the same as 1*\\
  rotate <-45,0,0>
  translate <0,2,0>
}

}
//*I used the tutorial camera settings*\\
camera {
location <2,5,-10>
look_at <0,0,0>
}
//*My fiance from the POV groups says may there be light so I added more light
than usual :)*\\
light_source {
<0,10,-10>
color rgb <2.0,2.8,2.0>
}

Well this is what I did with the torus. In the tutorial the torus shape looks
lopsided which is really cool but I don't understand why it isn't shaping out
on my end. With the box and trying to rotate it on it's axis, I haven't done
much to it yet but here is the code for that (I kept it just like the tutorial
version for camera position):

camera {
  location <2,5,-10>
  look_at <0,0,0>
}

light_source {
  <10,-10,-10>
  color rgb <1.0,2.0,1.0>
}

box {
  <0,0,0>, 3
  pigment { color rgb <1.0,0.2,1.0> }
  rotate <-45,0,0>
  translate <0,2,0>
}

I hope that you can help, it is much appreciated!
Thanks,
Lace