POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Killing rays over a certain length : Re: Killing rays over a certain length Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Killing rays over a certain length
From: clipka
Date: 12 Dec 2008 20:55:01
Message: <web.4943152fbd563cd07c822d860@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Explaining why might make my question clearer: some friends and I were
> > discussing what it would look like if you could take a film with a camera so
> > fast that you could watch the progress of light across a room. I want the light
> > to ooze slowly out of the lights and over objects, and so I want to terminate
> > any ray which is longer than a distance ct, where c is the speed of light and t
> > the (short!) time since the start of the film.
>
> I suggested a while back that a "speed_of_light" parameter be added to povray,
> and the response was rather negative due to the required modeling of
> relativity.

I remember an article *somewhere* about relativistic effects with an experiment
someone made with - ta-daaa - a modified version of PoV-ray!

So it must exist somewhere out there already...

The experiment showed the classic 3D-teapot zooming past the camera at about the
speed of light, and the PoV-ray version was tweaked to take speed of light into
account.

Much to the surprise of the readers (and possibly the experimentor as well), the
teapot did *not* look "squished" as is often claimed in popular-science articles
about relativity, but rather *rotated*!

Geez, if only I could remember where that article was! c't maybe (a german
computer technology magazine). I'll try to dig that up.