POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Solid meshes aren't really solid : Re: Solid meshes aren't really solid Server Time
13 May 2024 18:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solid meshes aren't really solid
From: SharkD
Date: 12 Dec 2008 18:50:00
Message: <web.4942f79dfab08d2ad678456b0@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Walls" are missing when using solid meshes in CSG. The problem is described in
> more detail in this thread:

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.49407a1e34307b75ef318dca0%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=22

I see now from clipka's explanation how the current behavior could be considered
useful. Without it, in poorly-formed meshes you would see prisms extending
tofrom the gaps to infinity along the vector defined by the inside_vector
statement. However, in some instances this behavior is not desirable.
Therefore, I propose that a flag be added to toggle this behavior on/off. Maybe
"open" or "hollow" could be used, but these terms don't correspond perfectly to
what is actually happening.

-Mike