POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : out of date tutorials : Re: out of date tutorials Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: out of date tutorials
From: Lace
Date: 12 Dec 2008 01:05:00
Message: <web.4941fe6ab7ea4f86849ac78f0@news.povray.org>
Thank you very much for the responses; first of all the POV-RAY FAQ's are last
dated 2004 and even though the version hasn't changed much, I'm sure that new
users who wish to learn would find this challenging.

In the 1996 tutorial that I am learning from (above link of course) there are a
few minor problems that don't go with the version 3.6 I'm only on the first
page of the tutorial due to the busy schedule at home :) But I will include
them:

***A rotation is a transformation that changes the orientation of an object (the
way that it's facing). Rotations are the most complex of the transformations.
They are specified to POV-Ray by the string rotation <x,y,z>, where x, y, and z
are the number of degrees (not radians) around the respective axis. Consider the
original cube up above. A rotation of <0,0,45> rotates the cube 45 degrees
around the z axis***

(me here, I couldn't get my square to turn on it's axis, I got it to move but
not spin like the picture)

***torus {
  3, 11
  pigment { color Yellow }
  scale <1.5,1,1>
  rotate <-45,0,0>
  translate <0,2,0>
}

This code makes a yellow torus, slightly widened around the x axis, rotated -45
degrees around the x axis and with its center at <0,2,0>***

(me here, my torus wasn't lopsided it was more of a fat perfect doughnut shape
and I couldn't get it to do anything but sit in the middle ~sigh~)

With the rest of it on that page of the tutorial I have completely mastered with
a bit of help from a good POV friend and insomnia. I really want to learn, I'm
not one to give up so easily :)