POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 24 bit heightfields : Re: 24 bit heightfields Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 24 bit heightfields
From: SharkD
Date: 11 Dec 2008 21:20:00
Message: <web.4941c93e869f689f839aab140@news.povray.org>
"Reactor" <rea### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Actually, the hf_gray_16 format doesn't use 16 bits per channel.  It uses the
> existing channels. From the docs:
> You can use hf_gray_16 with png also, and it results in the same sort of
> multicolored output, but only with 16 bits for 65536 levels.  What I meant by
> hf_gray_24 wasn't for 24 bits per channel, but a 24 bit grayscale image which,
> instead of using only the red and green 8-bit channels for 16 bits, would use
> the red, green, and blue channels for a total of 24 bits.  No new image format
> would be needed.
>
> -Reactor

OK, thanks. I tried opening up one of these PNG images in my image editor, with
weird results. Adjusting the blue and green channels had no effect, and setting
the red channel to 0% still leaves some residual coloring. Also, the program
claims the image has only 256 unique colors! Checking the levels also resulted
in wonkyness.

:)

-Mike