POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 24 bit heightfields : Re: 24 bit heightfields Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 24 bit heightfields
From: SharkD
Date: 11 Dec 2008 20:50:01
Message: <web.4941c25a869f689f9e0f4a4e0@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> SharkD wrote:
> > Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> >> I put the image directly into a heightfield, and I think I got the
> >> correct height, but only at 16 bits. I can't see any way (without hacking
> >> the code) to get 24 bits of precision in a heightfield.
> >
> > How did you check whether it was only using 16 bits?
>
> The documentation says so.

I couldn't find anywhere in the docs where it said there was a maximum *limit*.
Rather, it merely provides an overview of the different formats, and fails to
mention any 24 bit options.

As an experiment, I created a copy of "Untitled1_hf.png", except with the blue
channel set to zero. The resulting heightfield looks subtly but noticibly
different. If it is true that povray only supports 16 bits, then 8 bits must be
being discarded *somewhere*.

-Mike