POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Solid meshes in CSG : Re: Solid meshes in CSG Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solid meshes in CSG
From: clipka
Date: 10 Dec 2008 23:00:00
Message: <web.49408f297b08f33bebb7cc8a0@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I'm a little confused by the docs when they explain when meshes can be used in
> CSG. Can I, for instance, create a flat plane from a mesh and use it in CSG as
> long as I specify an inside vactor? Or, must a mesh be fully enclosed, like a
> cube? Please explain what happens in either case.

If the mesh is fully closed, then everything is fine: Your mesh will behave like
any other solid object in a CSG operation.

If the mesh is open I'd expect whacky results from CSG operations. For example,
if you intersect an open mesh and a solid object, the resulting object will
*not* behave like a "cut-out" piece of the mesh; instead, I'd expect certain
parts of the other object's surface to be visible as well, namely all those
areas where a ray, when shot along the inside vector, would enter through a
"hole" into the inside of the mesh. (This is just a guess, but be prepared to
get something like this or similar.)