POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Timer Trouble : Re: Timer Trouble Server Time
17 May 2024 00:00:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Timer Trouble
From: clipka
Date: 10 Dec 2008 16:35:01
Message: <web.494035b3ec458063ebb7cc8a0@news.povray.org>
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:47:12 -0500, clipka wrote:
>
> > Now I notice that the Linux system timer is running WAY TOO FAST, about
> > twice the regular speed. I set the clock at ~19:45; at 20:20 it showed
> > 20:58, and at 20:43 it is showing 21:44 presently.
>
> With or without MegaPOV running?

Both.

To quickly asses how I'm doing regarding this, I set the Gnome clock to display
the time in unix timestamp format, so I can see it counting seconds.

Processor load does not seem to have any influence on this. Time seems to be
flying constantly at 200%.

I toyed around with BIOS settings and boot parameters a bit, only to find out
that "notsc" doesn't help a thing, and disabling the HPET in the BIOS was just
as futile.

Only thing I could find out was that it is in fact multi-processor related, as
"nosmp" gets the counter down to normal speed.

I also found out that Knoppix does fine with default settings. But then again, I
don't know whether it does SMP.