POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Second radiosity pass takes much longer than the first : Re: Second radiosity pass takes much longer than the first Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:38:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Second radiosity pass takes much longer than the first
From: nemesis
Date: 9 Dec 2008 21:00:01
Message: <web.493f227e7666fb0cd98ce84a0@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> It appears to take nearly 3 times as long to reuse the data than to compute it
> in the first place!  This more than defeats the purpose of 2-pass radiosity.
> Is there another setting that I've forgotten that will keep my final render to
> under 5 days?

I've had problems like that before.  In my understandment, error_bound in the
second pass has to be close to the original, just slightly higher.  It gives
differences in the performance, I don't know, perhaps the data lookup method
depend on the values being close.  The values can't really be the same because
it causes some black splotches, in my experience.

I generally put error_bound in the second pass to be at most 2x the original.