POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Bounding box bug in animations? : Re: Bounding box bug in animations? Server Time
2 May 2024 12:01:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bounding box bug in animations?
From: Kenneth
Date: 9 Dec 2008 06:55:01
Message: <web.493e596f995e3cb678dcad930@news.povray.org>
Vincent Le Chevalier <gal### [at] libertyALLsurfSPAMfr> wrote:

> More generally it seems that if the number of objects on the first frame
> does not exceed the bounding threshold the optimization is never used,
> even if there are more objects in the rest of the frames.
>
> Is this the expected behaviour? Am I the only one starting with just 1
> object in the first frame :-) ?

I'm rather new to POV animation, so this is some interesting info. Thanks also
for the link to the other post. I've had to deal with Bounding_Threshold
problems too, not in animation, but in certain scenes using media. Still don't
understand that behavior.

BTW, I've found that the default Bounding_Threshold in v3.6.1c is 3, not 25 as
mentioned in the docs.

I just tried an animation experiment (of a scene with about 10 objects in it),
and set the Bounding_Threshold to first 100 (basically to turn it off) and then
to 0 (so that it's always on, AFAIK.)  There's definitely an overall major
render-time decrease when using 0--or whatever value that's <= the number of
objects in the scene. (A nice discovery for me, which I didn't know about until
now.) Using +MB0 may be the answer to your own problem--so that even with only
one (or no!) objects in the scene, automatic bounding will still kick in for
the rest of the animation.

Ken W.