POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Should I be using SSE2? : Re: Should I be using SSE2? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:31:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Should I be using SSE2?
From: SharkD
Date: 6 Dec 2008 10:35:00
Message: <web.493a9b36644a75a0ba19b81b0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> In a slightly bigger nutshell, SSE2 is a processor extension to speed up vector
> math, by providing commands to apply a basic operation - like multiplication or
> addition - to multiple numbers at the same time, and other handy things like a
> combined multiply-add command which is a great help for matrix operations.
>
> So it's a kind of parallel processing on a very small scale (which you get on
> top of the large-scale parallel processing provided by the dual core).
>
> The older SSE did basically the same, but only for vectors comprised of
> single-precision floats or integers, which is not enough for PoV-ray; SSE2 does
> this for the double-precision floating points used by PoV-ray.

I keep getting weird errors when using SSE2, along the lines of (not verbatim!):

"Unknown internal error!"
"Can't find source file."

I did manage to get the scene to render twice, though.

I'm using the non-SSE2 executable now, and it seems to be working without
problems. At least, it worked the first and only time, and hasn't stopped
rendering yet.

-Mike