POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blurred light reflections : Re: Blurred light reflections Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred light reflections
From: clipka
Date: 4 Dec 2008 17:20:01
Message: <web.4938569e47efc89ff5dae140@news.povray.org>
"robinmckenzie" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I'm trying to recreate this awesome scene:
>
> http://darkaan.deviantart.com/art/Light-Balls-v-2-1680x1050-67946500
>
> Any ideas on how to reproduce the blurred light relections / (phongs?) without
> taking years to render would be appreciated.
>
> I've modelled with a light source within each ball, but this is highly
> processor-intensive, prob due to the large number of light sources.  Is there
> any other way to acheive the effect?

From what I see, this is actually not a reflection, but a radiosity effect (or
similar, but radiosity should do the job). So use a texture map to equip your
spheres with those alternating bands of reflecting and white texture; for the
white bands, use a white pigment (what else :)) and set its ambient to 1 and
diffuse to 0. Be sure to set all other textures' ambient to 0 so they don't
emit light. Set the plane's diffuse to something > 0. Make sure you have an
ambient_lighting of 1, insert a radiosity block in your global settings, press
"Run", and and voila - happy rendering!

You won't need any conventional light sources at all.