POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : tractor 2008 (164k jpg) : Re: tractor 2008 (164k jpg) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:26:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: tractor 2008 (164k jpg)
From: nemesis
Date: 2 Dec 2008 19:10:01
Message: <web.4935ce1462d2e221245753e10@news.povray.org>
"Dre" <and### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "stbenge" <THI### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> > They are manually rounded off using cylinders, torii and spheres. There's
> > an object pattern trick for making edges look rounded using surface
> > normals, but it doesn't work too well with most objects.
>
> Ahhh so it is manual, I thought I was heading down the wrong track doing it
> manually becuase it is so much work!

It is much work and is not really the "right path".  But is also as much ego
boosting as assembly programming. ;)

These things are called beveled edges in the polygonal world and come out as
fluidly and painlessly as pouring milk in a glass... I wish there was some
automatic way of doing them in regular CSG, but that is really a very old
wish...