POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bump Map Madness : Re: Bump Map Madness Server Time
16 May 2024 11:53:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bump Map Madness
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 2 Dec 2008 07:20:01
Message: <web.49352726f7160dffd5b77e4a0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> It gets weirder and weirder... I see only two instances of "outward" bumps in
> the whole picture, and they're NOT consistent between copies, and I do see
> "sideways" bumps (looking like they were illuminated from the side instead of
> head-on) in exactly 50% of all bump-mapped dents.

I'm now having trouble seeing consistency again, my mind is playing tricks. I
think we're probably all seeing the same thing, but interpreting it differently
(there's a couple of Escher drawings that do this deliberately). I'm going to
play with the lighting... I'll get back to you.

> Which POV version are you using?

3.6.1c.icl8.win32 - from the splash screen. Far more info than you need, I'm
sure. :)

> Never mind the chevrons: I did a subdivision step when exporting the mesh to
> POV, which introduced this distortion. I didn't bother about fixing that.

Ah, right. Just thought I'd check.

Bill