POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bump Map Madness : Re: Bump Map Madness Server Time
29 Apr 2024 08:06:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bump Map Madness
From: Kenneth
Date: 30 Nov 2008 18:35:01
Message: <web.4933223af7160dff78dcad930@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Notice how some of the dents do not only bulge outwards instead of inwards -
> some even go "SIDEWAYS" somehow. You gotta see this to know what I mean.
>
> Also notice how this changes for even the very same dent, depending on the
> orientation of the whole object.

Yes, I'm seeing all of those effects too, though only on the dark-gray cubes
(the ones using uv_vector bump_map). The rest look OK to my eyes. Sorry I can't
offer a suggestion; I'm certainly not a uv_mapping expert.

I fiddled around with the lights and camera, but the effects don't go away.

It *kind of* looks like the odd directional effect is 'locked into' the gray
cube, varying with the orientation of it.  Hard to describe. As if the normal
is ignoring the light_source direction, OR picking up the light from *some*
angle and just sticking it on the cube and reusing it. Only a guess, though.

Ken W.