POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tiling hexagons : Re: Tiling hexagons Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiling hexagons
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 20 Nov 2008 15:35:00
Message: <web.4925c9971539762d81c811d20@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> > You are right about the ratio.  The 2:2cos(30) ratio I've been using is the
> > ratio of hex width to height, but for tiling of a hex pattern it should be
> > 3:2cos(30) or 2cos(30):1.
>
> Actually, you were correct to begin with!!!! :) I looked at it again and
> realized the method I described only reproduces the "isometric" pattern of
> intersecting lines (which is sufficient for my needs). To reproduce the actual
> *hexagon* in its entirety you need to take things a step further:
>
> http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/1909/tileablehexagon2rn5.png

OK I need to go through step by step.

If we want a hex pattern that is purely tileable (no mirroring) using your
image, the width is the same as the green area:
W=2*cos(30)
the height should actually be twice what your green area is:
H=2+2*sin(30)
=2+1
=3

W/H=2*cos(30)/3 or 1/2*cos(30)

The green box you have drawn is:
W/H=4*cos(30)/3 or 1/cos(30)
but this only works if you mirror the pattern on the x-axis

and if you want to mirror across both the x and y axis, you may as well cut the
width in half again which is the same as the first ratio:
W/H=2*cos(30)/3 or 1/2*cos(30)

So it depends on how you intend to map you pattern.  Usually desktop tiling
doesn't mirror so you would want tne first ratio for a directly tileable
pattern.  I hope this clarifies things a bit.

-tgq