POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tiling hexagons : Re: Tiling hexagons Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiling hexagons
From: SharkD
Date: 20 Nov 2008 15:10:00
Message: <web.4925c3df1539762d670187080@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> There is no correction to calculate, just set your camera vectors to the proper
> ratios for the actual hex pattern.

Awesome! Thanks!

> You are right about the ratio.  The 2:2cos(30) ratio I've been using is the
> ratio of hex width to height, but for tiling of a hex pattern it should be
> 3:2cos(30) or 2cos(30):1.

Actually, you were correct to begin with!!!! :) I looked at it again and
realized the method I described only reproduces the "isometric" pattern of
intersecting lines (which is sufficient for my needs). To reproduce the actual
*hexagon* in its entirety you need to take things a step further:

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/1909/tileablehexagon2rn5.png

> To get the values I basically just used an excel spreadsheet to calculate and
> tabulate the values.

Thanks for the tip! I was hoping for an algorithmic approach, but I guess
there's no real need to go to all that effort.

Thanks again!

-Mike