POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tiling hexagons : Re: Tiling hexagons Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:16:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiling hexagons
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 20 Nov 2008 14:55:00
Message: <web.4925bffa1539762d81c811d20@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Ah, that's a clever trick. I will definitely try that. I'm not sure how to
> calculate the proper "correction" to introduce the correct level of distortion,
> though.

There is no correction to calculate, just set your camera vectors to the proper
ratios for the actual hex pattern.

> I'm talking resolutions of 200px or less. The image is meant as a background
> image for an HTML page.
>
> Also, none of these aspect ratios still match the aspect ratio. You need to
> multiply the height of the image by 2*cos(30). Is there a formula you used to
> determine "close" matches? Maybe I can adapt that.
>
> -Mike

You are right about the ratio.  The 2:2cos(30) ratio I've been using is the
ratio of hex width to height, but for tiling of a hex pattern it should be
3:2cos(30) or 2cos(30):1.

To get the values I basically just used an excel spreadsheet to calculate and
tabulate the values.

Best ratios under 1600 width:
1351 x 780 ( 0.000027% )
989 x 571 ( 0.000102% )