POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tiling hexagons : Re: Tiling hexagons Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiling hexagons
From: SharkD
Date: 20 Nov 2008 14:50:01
Message: <web.4925be9e1539762d45ff78e0@news.povray.org>
Dan Connelly <djc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> SharkD wrote:
> > Also, none of these aspect ratios still match the aspect ratio. You need to
> > multiply the height of the image by 2*cos(30). Is there a formula you used to
> > determine "close" matches? Maybe I can adapt that.
>
> Where did you get the factor of 2?
>

>              +         +
>

> (-1,0) +         +(0,0)    + (1,0)
>

>              +         +

Ah, sorry. I didn't explain things thoroughly enough. In order for the image to
be tilable, you have to cleverly select a *portion* of the hexagon--you can't
just select the entire thing! This *portion* happens to have double the aspect
ratio. Actually, there is another option, but the resulting image can't be made
as small.

Here is a graphic:

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/1075/tileablehexagonvo7.png

The blue rectangle is the minimum area that can be tiled to produce a repeating
hexagon (assuming that the hexagon doesn't also have any greebles that result
in it being asymmetric).

-Mike