POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tiling hexagons : Re: Tiling hexagons Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiling hexagons
From: SharkD
Date: 20 Nov 2008 14:20:01
Message: <web.4925b7a11539762db73646fd0@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Actually precision isn't that important as the camera aspect ratio and image
> ratio do not need to be the same.  While the image aspect ratio is restricted
> to integer combinations, the aspect ratio of the camera can be set to the exact
> mathematical ratio.  For example try setting your image resolution as square
> (say 400X400) and your camera as 2:1 and reder a sphere.  The 1x1 ratio render
> will get stretched to the 2x1 ratio image and look distorted.
> What happens is that the image gets distorted to fit the image size, but with a
> low ratio error, it should be unnoticeable

Ah, that's a clever trick. I will definitely try that. I'm not sure how to
calculate the proper "correction" to introduce the correct level of distortion,
though.

> For resolutions of width 1600 or less, these are the ones with less than 0.001%
> error:

I'm talking resolutions of 200px or less. The image is meant as a background
image for an HTML page.

Also, none of these aspect ratios still match the aspect ratio. You need to
multiply the height of the image by 2*cos(30). Is there a formula you used to
determine "close" matches? Maybe I can adapt that.

-Mike