POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to add a bump to an object? : How to add a bump to an object? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  How to add a bump to an object?
From: sumdumguy
Date: 17 Nov 2008 17:20:00
Message: <web.4921ed67475bbc133b34ecfe0@news.povray.org>
I am stuck with the following problem: I have an egg-shaped object and I want to
pull on it locally, deforming it. I want the deformation to affect the entire
shape. The easiest way to visualize it is to think of an egg with a plastic
shell and liquid inside. Now bring a match close to one spot on the egg,
locally softnening the plastic and allowing water to bulge out the shape.
One approach would be to do a blob. However, blobs are too local and they only
work with spheres and cylinders not splined lathe objects like my egg shape.
Is there a way to programmatically add a bump to an object in a particular
direction?