POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to find the maximum value of a function? : Re: How to find the maximum value of a function? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to find the maximum value of a function?
From: SharkD
Date: 16 Nov 2008 13:45:00
Message: <web.49206995c0004fc94237defb0@news.povray.org>
Dan Connelly <djc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> SharkD wrote:
> > I think I've been going about things entirely the wrong way. I'm more confused
> > now than I was at the start... :(
> >

> I'm not sure what this means.... finding extrema is a hard problem.  If you can
numerically differentiate the functio
n with respect to conjugate axes which span the parameter space it's a lot easier:
then you end up finding the zeros of
 a function rather than the extremes of one, and zeros are easier.

What I mean is that I have been wasting time trying to do calculations by hand
and "guess" my way through the problem. Instead, I have now plotted the
functions in GeoGebra which can do most of the calculations automatically. This
is what I should have done from the start.

I have now determined that it is easier and better to calculate the maximum
*possible* value of the curve based on a certain set of constants and variables
instead of calculating the maxima and minima of the curve itself. I won't bore
you further with the details.......

-Mike