POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Photorrealism (Portrait of a Girl) : Re: Photorrealism (Portrait of a Girl) Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photorrealism (Portrait of a Girl)
From: nemesis
Date: 16 Nov 2008 10:15:00
Message: <web.492038ea44dd31cd136aecae0@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> This movie is not mere fiction or fantasy.  It is intellectual dishonesty.  You
> *know* that the makers of the movie didn't believe any of it, yet their message
> to children is that they should.

Christmas miracle?  Poetic license?  Come on!  What about "Sixth Sense"?  It's
good sometimes to be wrong all along and have your expectations gone wrong.
This is fiction anyway.  And even still, they don't make it clear it really
happened at all:  the boy only hears the bells because he wants to.

> The scene at the north pole with the reindeer taking off was especially
> enjoyable.

I liked best when Santa showing to the sound of "Santa Claus is coming to Cloud"
sung by Sinatra. :)

> > My point has to do with the Uncanny Valley curve.  The UV hypothesis states that
> > as something becomes more lifelike, it first becomes more and more enjoyable/
> > empathetic and then falls off a cliff.
>
> _Portrait of a Girl_ must be on the other side of the valley, because there's
> nothing revulsive about her.

Yes.  Well, some people found it revulsive that she looks like she's a teen, to
which the author responded she's 2 weeks old, the time it took him to create
her.  What's the problem with a nude girl?  It's not pornographic imagery and
doesn't even show a frontal, it's simply some girl as she is behind the
clothes... oh, the shock of nature!