POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Gamma correction of input colours/image files : Re: Gamma correction of input colours/image files Server Time
17 May 2024 20:57:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma correction of input colours/image files
From: Allen
Date: 16 Nov 2008 03:00:01
Message: <web.491fd20180bfb2618f162dfb0@news.povray.org>
I partially agree that it can be annoying.  But I like being able to specify
color rgb 0.25 and it mean 25% gray, if the input was taken as a gamma
corrected value I may have to do something like color rgb 0.53 to get the same
result on one monitor (gamma 2.2) and 0.56 for a different monitor (gamma
0.56).

If anything I think the existing keywords should keep their meanings, color 0.5
should mean 50% gray, and the new keywords should un-gammacorrect the input:
display_color 0.5 should represent 21% gray if the display gamma is 2.2.

I agree when loading image maps I may want it to avoid correction in some cases
and apply it in others.  Sometimes a value 128 means 128 (~0.5, for height
fields generated by a custom program/script), and other times when loading it
should correct (or uncorrect) the image into POV-Ray colorspace.