POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Confused about how Merge deals with overlap region : Re: Confused about how Merge deals with overlap region Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:25:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Confused about how Merge deals with overlap region
From: Kenneth
Date: 8 Nov 2008 20:20:00
Message: <web.491639ac12932d0b78dcad930@news.povray.org>
Nicolas George <nicolas$george@salle-s.org> wrote:

> In the merge operation, the internal boundaries just do not exist.

> If the light ray goes in and comes out on different parts, then the
> refraction will happen with different IOR, which is physically impossible.

Yes. Yet POV-Ray is still able to produce *something* at the boundary between
the two IORs--which looks like a surface--without throwing up its hands and
crying "Uncle!" I find that intriguing in itself. It would be interesting to
know just what this 'composite IOR' is (if that's the right word for it.) No
wonder Mike is seeing such odd things with his egg-crate pattern!

This is a good exercise!

Ken W.